So you have a "Gossip Girl" obsessed girl who loves logos on your gift list this year? But the economy is crap and you need to find yourself a happy medium? Here are some tips to keep everyone happy!
- Shop the diffusion line. This won't be your cheapest option, but it's likely she won't even know the difference between Marc by Marc Jacobs and Marc Jacobs collection! More examples include KORS Michael Kors, McQ by Alexander McQueen, and See by Chloé.
- Shop discount designer sites or the sale section of regular department stores. Used in combination with the above tip and you can save a decent bit of cash! I'm addicted to Bluefly, Smart Bargains,Yoox, Nordstrom sale and Bloomingdale's sale.
- Shop designer collaborations. There are so many now, I get barely keep up! Comme de Garcons at H&M, Sigerson Morrison and Anya Hindmarch for Target (thakoon for Target won't launch until Xmas Day which is SILLY), Paul & Joe, Charlotte Ronson, Geren Ford and more for Urban Outfitters. These lines don't have quite the same glam quotient, but it's better than nothing!
- Bid smartly on eBay. First, make sure the seller has lots of positive feedback, even better if it's a store with lots of ratings! I usually don't buy anything expensive from an international seller. I also recommend reading the guides on how to spot fake designer items - plastic wrapping on purse handles is one of my tip offs.And make sure the designer name is spelled correctly! Once I bought a Burberrys coat instead of Burberry - opps! Finally, wait until the last 15 seconds to bid, if you're going against someone who really wants it, you guys will both ending driving the price up!
- Never underestimate the power of accessories! Wallets, scarves, hats, sunglasses, key rings - these are all things that are usually more affordable and still have the most important feature: the label.