Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Apparently Michael was collaborating with Christian Audigier to launch his own clothing line. The line was supposed to debut this fall and would have been sold exclusively through L.A. Boutique Kitson. There don't seem to be any details on what it would have consisted of, and the current status is unknown, but the man was a fashion icon, and I'm sure if they were to move forward at this point, it would sell out fast. Single, glittery glove anyone?
Via People StyleWatch
- A suit. You should at the very least own a blazer and matching pants, and a matching skirt and dress never hurts! If you have yet to own anything, I recommend starting off with gray in a lightweight wool - wearable year-round!Banana Republic is a great place to buy affordable suit separates ($200-$300 for a total suit). They tend to use the same fabric season over the season, so you can always wait to get the skirt or dress next time. Other places to look would be Emporio Armani ($300-$400) and Club Monaco ($200-$300). If you're ready to take the plunge into something more high end, I definitely recommend going in person so it can be tailored then and there.
- Now it's time to build around the suit, starting with some fun tops. Sure, everyone needs one crisp, white button down, but don't be afraid of some bright colors or patterns. Check out Thomas Pink if you don't know where to start, or Victoria's Secret if you're on a budget.
- You probably won't need to wear a full suit every day, so you'll need some non-matchy bottoms, a few pencil skirts and straight leg trousers will fit the bill nicely! While neutrals like black and beige always work, you should have a few bright pieces to jazz up your look. And remember to buy some in a lightweight, summer fabric (cotton or linen) and some in a thicker winter fabric (tweed)! Try Anne Klein or Express if you're looking for affordability.
- As for dresses, almost anything should match your suit jacket, but look for flattering sheath shapes first. Nordstrom has a ton in cute colors and prints to browse. And no bare shoulders please!
- Finally, don't forget to accessorize! If you're lacking any classics, it's time to pick them up, whether its a pair of sling back pumps, a structured tote or some diamond studs! I'm particularly fond of Cole Haan for shoes and Kate Spade for purses, but Nine West and Bandolino have some great options too at more affordable prices.
Some Anna Sui for Target images are out! The line will be out Sep 17 and will consist of 19 looks. Her inspiration were the ladies of "Gossip Girl," can you tell which is which? Hover over the image and you'll get the answer, but I imagine it should be pretty obvious! Well, sometimes... some of these looks seem really off the mark. And what's up with the orange and brown palette, gew!
Via NY Cut
Monday, June 29, 2009
Yay! Music and fashion! Two of my favorite things. Jean Paul Gaultier collaborated with Martina from Dragonette and French DJ/producer Martin Solveig to create this song and the accompanying video titled Boys & Girls which is somehow promoting his MA DAME fragrance, despite the fact that the fragrance itself is never mentioned or featured in the video. The video was filmed inside Gaultier's mansion and he has a brief cameo at the beginning. I love the aesthetic. It has almost an old Hollywood musical feel to it. Also, should Gaultier need anyone to dance around his mansion in his clothes for future videos, I would be happy to volunteer.
I will be the first to admit that I really don't get Will Ferrell's humor 99% of the time. I adored him in "Stranger Than Fiction" but most of the time I can pass on his stuff. I do, however, love these sunscreens endorsed by him! Proceeds go to Cancer for College, an organization that provides scholarships for cancer survivors. Buy now at Fred Flare for $12 each.
Chrissie Morris designs sculptural shoes, really an art form, that are both gorgeous and comfortable. I can vouch for that because I have the Sunburst sandal in a marigold-color lizard skin from the spring collection. These gold snakeskin ones are equally appealing and can easily be worn year-round. Buy for roughly $1,575 from Luisa Via Roma.
Friday, June 26, 2009
Katie from RocketXL gave me Father's Day celebration gift cards to see what I could find as a father's day present at TJMaxx and Marshalls. I love a mission! Plus my dad's difficult cause he nevers needs/wants anything. I ended up with some super bargains; a Tumi wallet, cause I love Tumi products, for $69 that retailed for $148 and a Ralph Lauren belt for $19.99 that retailed $125. It's difficult to find those treasures at discount stores, but when you find them it's worth it!
Ooo, Theory in NY is having an in-store sale, wish I could make it!
Thanks Nina for the head's up!
Ooo, if you're on the West Coast fear not! Looks like BCBG is having a warehouse sale this weekend in South El Monte, CA: 75% off famous designer labels including BCBG Max Azria, BCBGirls, BCBGeneration, To The Max, Max and Cleo, plus much more.
This dress is almost unbearably fabulous, such a statement piece for this fall! There's only one is stock, so hurry and buy at Nasty Gal for $238.
UPDATE: Wow, looks like it's sold out! But there are so many other cute things on the site to buy like this blue marching band jacket, so try not to cry!
Ice Cold Lemonade
Edited by Clutch 22
Compiling this week's round up of posts hit closer to home for me. I think we can all relate to the times where stress builds up and blocks inspiration. Reading each of these individually was the exact refreshment I needed (hence "lemonade"), especially with my birthday coming up next week - total outfit planning mode.
So what's in the mix? Alixrose and Decline Designs offer personal style inspirations, Fasshonaburu teaches us how to get our budget-shopping on at high-end boutique sales, hkShoeGeek talks harnesses and Fashion Consciou$ inspires by reviving the culottes trend (so cute on her).
Links à la Mode : June 25th
- 39th and Broadway: Ever wonder who really determines how your clothes fit? An interview with a technical designer
- alixrose: You have the perfect outfit, but whats the one thing that can keep it from becoming fabulous?
- A Typical Atypical: A deep dive into the reasoning behind shoe obsessions
- Awakened Aesthetic: Affordable ways to bring urban fashion into your decor without getting tacky
- Bobbins and Bombshells: Fashionable History - A look into 1920's swimwear and bathing suits.
- Bonne Vie: When Bloggers Unite - The Hotel Max Edition
- Decline Designs: Defining Your Personal Style - Having "Go-To" Outfits
- Fasshonaburu: Digging through a high end sales to find purchase-worhty pieces, and tips on how to not go over budget
- Fashion Consciou$: Fashion Flashback - Return of the culottes
- Fashion Pulse Daily: The evolution of the gladiator to the "mandiator"
- Freya: A little gown guide for your summer wedding
- hkShoeGeek: Harnesses - A collection of favorites for every style and price range
- Idiosyncratic Style: A guide for casual wedding attire
- Independent Fashion Bloggers: You just don't compare...
- Retro Chick : Mary Queen of Charity Shops - Now it's all over, some final thoughts
- Shoe Daydreams: Are you on board with the latest trend - Over The Knee boots?
- Tatiana Supports the Arts: Indie Designer Spotlight - ALEX&RA, designed by Alexandra Cipparone
- The Bare Skinny: Not everything has to be black and white - inspiration for adding color to your wardrobe
- The Coveted: Shu Uemura's inspired lashes
- Unfunded: Respect your elders - Rock the vintage!
- Work Chic: Chic hosiery options if you still have to wear them in the summer heat!
WWD has a GREAT article about how Michael Jackson was not only a tres talented musician and performer, but a style icon to boot!
Say what you will about Michael Jackson during the last few years of his life — and with the baby-dangling-out-the-window behavior, bad plastic surgery and child molestation allegations, a lot has been said — but it takes a certain kind of star to turn a single sequined glove into a cultural symbol.They go on to talk about how he still influences fashion today, most noticeably the Balmain military / bandleader jacket the who's who of fashion have been sporting of late. Or just look at trendsetter Rhianna'a wardrobe! I'd have to say that 80s influences, which were already coming for fall, will be a requirement to cool now. Here are some pieces to get you started:
During the Eighties and into the Nineties, Jackson, who died of cardiac arrest in Los Angeles Thursday, became as much a trendsetter for fashion as he was for music. There’s the red leather motorcycle jacket he rocked in the “Beat It” video; the white ankle socks, black fedora and black loafers he wore when he moonwalked (and that walk alone is almost as legendary as Neil Armstrong’s); the military-style jacket and aviator sunglasses he toured in during the “Thriller” era; the white V-neck T-shirt that he always eventually stripped down to onstage, and finally, there was that glove, first worn during a performance of “Billie Jean” during a television special in 1983.
A genius marketing ploy by DuWop to increase their consumer base to tweens! Technically a sneak preview of their "highly anticipated" Twilight Venom, debuting in the fall. Pre-order your "Twilight" themed Lip Venom for $16, Edward Cullen not included :(
Thursday, June 25, 2009
I kept seeing this Vince sweater, so I knew I would just have to post it or buy it... since I
m broke here it is! It has one of the most subtle '80s vibes I've ever seen, which makes it juuuust right. Buy at Net-A-Porter for $240.
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
OK, $99 for a pair of sweat pants isn't really reasonable, but they look so comfortable! Can you imagine it... getting home from work, kicking off your heels and throwing these on before collapsing on the sofa? Ahhhh, bliss. Buy at LuvCharlie.
The journalists of the fashion industry may look down on social media, but the designers are hopping on board! Here are some of my favorite to add to your feed:
Christian Francis Roth
- Francis the Blog, maintained by his friend and generally awesome person Wendy.
- FrancisNewYork on Twitter
- Vivia Vena Cava, a blog by the designers, Lisa Mayock and Sophie Buhai.
- House of Holland Blog - Not 100% sure if this is official or not
- Karl_Lagerfeld on Twitter!
- StellaMcCartney on Twitter
- Rachel Roy on Twitter
PS Don't forget to follow Fasshonaburu on Twitter!
Weren't these on the Marni runway for this fall? So why are they available, much less on sale already... they must have had something tres similar before! Well, pretend to be ahead of the curve with these chic ski goggle style sunglasses from Marni, on sale for $235.
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
I heard about Duro Olowu from the Fashion Director at Barney's NY. She said "his prints are to die for" and wow was she right!! I can barely find a way to describe them, maybe bright, tribal paisley? The mixed patterns and luxe fabrics look chic summer without any hint of boho. And his upcoming fall pieces are just as fabulous, he said the collection has "an urban folkloric vibe in Technicolor," niiice. Seriously how does he make eclectic look so classy? You can buy his stuff in store at a few Barney's around the country, as well as Ikram in Chicago... DC is so fashion missing! Anyone want to invest in me opening a boutique? I obviously have better sense than most of the buyers in the area :P
This tweed & silk jacket has got such beautiful, billowing sleeves and a lovely draped collar! Though whoever wrote the description on the site needs to learn the difference between kimono sleeves and bishop sleeves! I wrote about the types back in '07, wow! Anyhoo, buy this jacket at Asos for $283.
- ok, this Lanvin ACNE dress is a $408, which is more than my $400 limit, but it's cheaper here than the sale price at Barney's right now, which is $499!
- This silk Balenciaga top has cool shiny lurex wrist details, taking it from basic to futuristic cool. Buy for $286.
- This green 3.1 Philip Lim jacket would make a great lightweight jacket for summer or wear as a blazer. Buy for $335.
- If you've always wanted something Fendi, now's your chance without going to a loan shark! This bright red, knit dress is on sale for $335.
- These pink sole pumps by Alexander McQueen are just to die for! Buy for $392.
- This sheer knit top by Alessandro Dell'Acqua has such a pretty bodice detailing, sultry but if you pair with a crisp blazer you could totally rock this at work. Buy for $286.
- This Marios Schwab dress has the most fabulous Tom Gallant print along the side! Buy for $335.
- This gold metallic clutch would really punch up a LBD! Buy for $310.
- This Donna Karen pencil skirt has the most amazing ruching for emphasizing curves. Buy for $392.
- This over sized Lanvin cocktail ring will turn your friends green with envy! Buy for $278.
- This pair of ACNE gladiator sandals has a great super strappy look without being overwhelming. I love the "peep heel," ha. Buy for $245.
- I have been coveting something from Marni lately! Well this lei style necklace might fit the bill and will run you $229.
- This House of Holland tee with John Galliano just cracks me up! Buy for $82.
- Finally this silk Derek Lam skirt is more than my limit too, but I want it soooooooooo much! Buy for $473.
And just never, ever spend more than $400 on something that couldn't be described as "classic!" If it's not a ball gown and you can't wear it more than five times a year, it's just not worth it!
Thanks Wendy B for the heads up on the sale!
I thought I would never post a pair of jeggings (jean leggings) but these by The Row actually look pretty good. Maybe it's the super dark wash? Well, if you love the look of impossibly tight jeans, you can buy these at Bergdorf Goodman for $325.
Monday, June 22, 2009
Marc Jacobs will have a new capsule collection aimed at the younger, wanna-be "Gossip Girl" set... I would say this is a pretty smart business decision! It feels like an extension of the Miss Marc concept and will have denim jeans and skirts, tees, scarves, knit blazers, and leggings. All the pieces will retail for under $200, many under $100, at Bloomingdale's starting August 1st... just in time for back to school shopping!
Via NY Mag
The straps on these Zero + Marie wedges have got a great rope feel to them, making them perfect to pair with your Grecian dress this summer! Currently $297 at eLuxury, but there's an extra 50% taken off sale items at checkout, which would make these about $149!!
Friday, June 19, 2009
Debuting at NY Fashion Week in Feb, Joseph Altuzarra is definitely a designer to watch! With cute, body-conscious pieces, I get a bit of a Jil Saunder vibe from his collection - where you think something is classically simple and then you take a second look and go, "Hey, that's kinda deep." Well, as deep as fashion can be :O There's also some 80's influences, which are still "making a comeback" this season. I feel like they've been making a comeback for the past 2-3 years!
Anyhoo, the ruching is fab, the fabric sumptuous, but the thick fringe is just weird and I wish he used a little more color. You can find his pieces on the Barney's in NY or Ikram in Chicago, the rest of us will have to wait until he gets more popular!