This is a spectacular deal on a embellished necklace top! And the back is beautiful too, be sure to check it out! Once $330, buy at theOutnet.com for $132 before it sells out!
Friday, July 31, 2009
Mmmm, pima cotton / modal is probably the softest, most comfortable fabric in the world! This romper looks heavenly to wear, but I feel like it would be used more for lounging than actual "being seen in" clothing. Hmm, maybe paired with some mid-calf boots and a vest? Buy for the sale price of $50 at Anthropologie in grey or mauve.
Since I wrote about zippers back in March you should already own something, riiiiggghhht?? Well, if you weren't prepared to make the plunge but are now, here are some fun new options for you! Ok, I may have posted a few of these things already, but a reminder never hurts!
Attention all PR girls!!! We got our press passes for NYFW and are staying for the entire week so go ahead and send up invites to all your fabulous shows!
vyque AT fasshonaburu DOT com
alyssa AT fasshonaburu DOT com
katherine AT fasshonaburu DOT com
Thursday, July 30, 2009
Sometime next month Gilt will create a spin-off site, Gilt Fuse, which will sell slightly more affordable pieces at discounts - think Diesel, C&C, Laundry - everything will go for less than $150! Because not everyone can afford a $3,000 dress on sale for $800.
While I think it's a good idea, why can't they keep it all on the same site - I really don't want to generate yet another login and get yet another set of emails daily! How about both a pricey and more affordable sale each day on the same site? Must we segregate the rich and poor people like this!?!?!?
Edited by Retro Chick
Whether it’s Winter or Summer, relentless rain or an unceasing heatwave where you are, this weeks Links a la Mode is packed with entertainment to keep you out of the sun/rain/wind.
If you plan to travel to escape your current weather conditions then Hi Fashion has some great travel tips and Idiosyncratic Style has some ideas for easy fashion DIY projects you can take with you.
Other highlights this week include a hilarious mans view on some Celebrity Fashion choices from Unfunded, Our Ocean’s coverage of Vivienne Westwood’s appearance on Jonathan Ross and Style Amor’s refusal to buy a wedding dress, as well as some insightful interviews and gorgeous give-aways.
Choosing just 20 links from the number of fantastic submissions is a challenging task and this week I found it particularly hard to whittle down the numbers so be sure to go and check out the rest of the links in the full Links a la Mode thread.
- Breakfast at Saks – Aschobi: Sierra Leone Couture
- Brick My Lane – Interview with Christian Joy, the genius behind the costumes worn by Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- by Hillary – Deciding if you really need to dry clean that dress that says “dry clean”
- Culturistas – The Culturistas find a ‘Lust vs Must’ profile of the Romper Trend!
- Fashion Cents – Can you wear the romper trend? Fashion Cents helps you decide if and how to romp around
- Fashion Hippo – Fashion Hippo is having a fantastic giveaway: Mary Frances “Mercury Rising” wristlet bag.
- Fashion in my eyes – Interview: Fashion editor at 17
- HiFashion – Tips for fashionable travellers
- Idiosyncratic Style – A round up of 5 cool projects that are perfect for summer vacation, because they are light on supplies and low maintenance.
- Independent Fashion Bloggers – Rhythm is Gonna Getcha: Maintaining Consistency in Your Blog
- iStyle – The Lazy Girl’s Guide to Looking Fab: A real-life 5 minute make-up guide with unedited photos
- Mademoiselle Robot – An interview with headwear designer Jennifer Loiselle about films, motherhood and independent designers.
- Only Style Remains the Same – Offer an outfit idea to win a pair of Current/Elliott jeans from only style remains the same and chickdowntown.
- Our Ocean – An insanely inspiring interview with Vivienne Westwood on Jonathan Ross
- Pursed Lips – Lara Stone, size 4, heralded as bringing “curvy” back. But isn’t the bigger difference her C cup bra, and not her weight?
- Rags to Reverie – A look at the Stella McCartney Fall 2009 ad campaign + a couple of deals from the eponymous label
- reLYME – It’s Beka’s birthday, and in the spirit of birthday giving, reLYME is giving away SIX China Glaze nail lacquers from the Kicks collection!
- Retro Chick – Can I wear it? Yes, I can! Retro Chick gives Harem Pants a try with surprising results.
- Style Amor – Check out why I have given up buying a wedding gown from a traditional bridal boutique.
- Sweet Fuzz – Score one of a kind fashion treasures at your local thrift store and check out the insanely cheap items I snapped up at mine.
- The Coveted – Amsterdam Fashion Week bridges the gap between fashion students and industry at Lichting 2009
- Unfunded – Unfunded collaborates with J. Money from Budgets are Sexy to learn what guys really think of the things we wear.
This was my July splurge, I actually didn't buy any other clothes this month!! I really love this sequin, blousen-shaped jacket, doesn't it feel like something Serena from "Gossip Girl" would wear? Nordstrom is currently having their Anniversary Sale, so it's only $120.
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
I almost bought this Alice + Olivia skirt, it's sooooo cute paired with a simple, tucked in tank top! And it's sparkly and lacy - who can resist that combo?? Alas, I decided I'd rather spend an extra two nights at Fashion Week than own it. Buy at ShopBop for $275.
Ooo, I want to be an extra in "Sex and the City 2"!!!!
They are seeking the following:
SAG and NON SAG people to play: Fashion Models, Celebrity types, Upscale Socialites, Urban Club Goers, Gays and Lesbians, International types (Middle Eastern, Arabic, Asian, European, British), & Professional Soccer Players.
The open call takes place on: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 at the Metropolitan Pavilion, 125 West 18th Street between 6th and 7th Ave. The casting team will see SAG members ONLY between the hours of 10: 00am - 12:30pm and NON SAG members between NON-SAG: 1:30pm -4:00pm. Can't make it? You can dazzle them with your head shot. Please email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
I'm TOTALLY an "international type" pick me pick me!
Burfitt has created a series of limited edition t-shirt dresses featuring sketches of Kate Moss. There's Kate Moss as Charlie Chaplin, Kate Moss as Le Clowny and Kate Moss as Court Jester. Buy for $162 each at My Wardrobe.
Last weekend I went on a spontaneous mission to find a cute pair of basic black shorts, nice enough to wear about to a club but not really expensive or fancy. I found a pair, but I almost wish I didn't as these are perfect and only $34 at Intuition!! They're also available in purple, hmm, I don't own any purple shorts...
There was a lot of talk about Rhianna wearing a Christopher Kane gorilla print dress, now you can generate your own buzz with this long tee version! Besides the gorilla there is also chimp, baboon and mandrill prints, if you want something slightly different. I'd like to note that the back of the apes' heads are printed on the back of the tops, creating a weird "hairy back" look. Buy this one at Ssense for $310.
I love the bottoms on this bikini, all sexy strappy like! And the bandeau top has one strap, which is always fun... though it doesn't appear to be removable so be prepared for unusual tan lines! You should be wearing SPF anyway :P Buy at Sea Goddess for the sale price of $100.
My favorite Project Runway designer, Daniel Vosovic, is competing again on TV; this time on "Project Runway: All-Star Challenge" along with seven others, including Santino Rice, Jeffrey Sebelia, and Korto Momolu. The format is similar to regular episodes, but All-Star episodes are longer and include "a few more twists." The winner gets $100,000.
Sounds interesting enough to look forward to.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Squee! Finally! From the preview, it does not look like the move to Lifetime/LA has hurt the show. Also, watch until the end to see a promo for "Models of the Runway." This time the Project Runway models are competing as well in their own Reality Show.
If you're been putting off buy a nice leather jacket now is the time!!! Leather is the fabric of choice for fall, but the are still plenty on sale for the summer. This MICHAEL Michael Kors has great moto-inspired details and is currently $214, almost as cheap as you can get for real leather!
UPDATE: Whoops, you can buy at Bluefly
Monday, July 27, 2009
This purse is amazingly slouchy and yet elegant chic at the same time - not an easy feat! I think it's the silver corners on the flap, it makes an otherwise basic bag really stand out. Buy in black, purple or grey for the newly sale price of $269 at Forzieri.
Bravo's "Launch my Line" premiers Sept. 16. Well...I can see why they changed the original title from "Celebrity Sew-off" to "Launch my Line". I don't think these people are even D-List celebrities. The only one of the "professionals" whose name I recognize is Dan Karaty who did some choreography and judging on "So You Think You Can Dance" and whom I always wanted to punch in the face for his smug, self-satisfied attitude. It will be interesting to see what he's like outside of his element.
Following are the ten professionals and the ten expert designers competing in the series.
Dan Karaty, Choreographer - Hometown: Wyckoff, N.J.; Currently Resides In: Los Angeles, Calif.
David Applebaum, Architect - Hometown: Houston, Texas; Currently Resides in: Los Angeles, Calif.
Eric Cubeechee, DJ - Hometown/Resides In: Los Angeles, Calif.
Kathy Rose, Jewelry Designer - Hometown: Tehran, Iran; Currently Resides in: Los Angeles, Calif.
Kevin Black, Music Mogul - Hometown: Bronx, New York, N.Y.; Currently Resides in: Los Angeles, Calif.
Louanna Rawles, Stylist - Hometown/Resides In: Los Angeles, Calif.
Marilyn Crawford, CEO - Hometown: Lancaster, S.C.; Currently Resides In: Las Vegas, Nev. and New York, N.Y.
Merle Ginsberg, Fashion Critic - Hometown: Atlantic City, N.J.; Currently Resides in: Los Angeles, Calif.
Patrick McDonald, Fashion Writer/Dandy - Hometown: San Luis Obispo, Calif.; Currently Resides in: New York, N.Y.
Vanessa Gonzalez, Event Designer - Hometown/Resides In: Los Angeles, Calif.
Akiko, 31 - Hometown: San Diego, Calif.; Currently Resides In: Los Angeles, Calif.
Coco, 37 - Hometown: Thailand, Currently Resides In: New York, N.Y.
Emil, 39 - Hometown: Linz, Austria; Currently Resides In: Los Angeles, Calif.
Galina, 45 - Hometown: Odessa, Russia; Currently Resides In: Los Angeles, Calif.
Jim, 35 - Jim, 35 - Strathmore, Calif.; Currently Resides In: West Hollywood, Calif.
Julie, 29 - Hometown/Resides In: Los Angeles, Calif.
Roberto, 41 - Hometown: Bal Harbour, Fla.; Currently Resides In: Hollywood, Calif.
Susan, 26 - Atlanta, Ga.; Currently Resides In: Pasadena, Calif.
Thai, 28 - Hometown: Olympia, Wash.; Currently Resides In: Los Angeles, Calif.
Tressa, 32 - Hometown: Norwich, Vt.; Currently Resides In Los Angeles, Calif.
While Lord knows we don't need any more celebrities with fashion lines, I think the show would be more interesting if the Professionals were people who had at least a minutiae of name recognition. Will I watch regardless? Yeah, I'll give it a shot, but Bravo be warned...I lost interest in "The Fashion Show" about three episodes in, so here's hoping you step up your game! What do you think of "Launch My Line's" prospects?
I randomly came across this skirt by a label called Leaf Bee and totally fell in love! It has all this cool layers and asymmetrical panels. Unfortunately there's only one size left on a New Zealand site, Good as Gold for $329 (New Zealand dollars?). Anyone hear of the label before and know any other stockists??
Well, this is different. Designer Dechel Mckillion created earrings that are connected by 4 chains which also form a necklace. Definitely a novel approach to jewelry. I think its intriguing, but knowing my penchant for general klutziness, I foresee myself getting the chains caught on something followed by extreme pain in the ear area. If you are more graceful than I, you can buy this at 80's purple for $53
Friday, July 24, 2009
Thursday, July 23, 2009
So me, Alyssa and Kathy for the first time since NY Fashion Week in Feb to attend the Urban Chic Blog Party launch held in DC. The local boutique just recently launched Living Chic, their very own blog.
After walking for about 30 minutes in the sweltering heat, we made it to their Georgetown boutique (the metro will take you anywhere in DC EXCEPT this neighborhood). Stacey London from TLC's "What Not To Wear" was there, I was surprised at how mobbed she got. I know celebrities are a rare treat for the area, but this wasn't Victoria Beckham people.
Browsing around the store was fun; the boutique is pretty fashion forward for DC, carrying labels like Alice + Olivia, Rebecca Taylor, and Milly. In a city that voted Ann Taylor as one of their favorite places to shop for work clothes, this is a pretty big deal (and you wonder why I'm addicted to shopping online!!).
I almost bought a tutu-esque Alice + Olivia skirt myself, but decided to save the money for spending more time in NY for Fashion Week! I'll sure I'll post it later and you can all tell me I'm a fool for not snatching it up!
I wrote about Bird by Juicy Couture back in May, and I just now noticed that it's available online at JuicyCouture.com! Hmmm, the pieces are interesting, I think the military jacket and leather leggings are dead on for fall. But, besides a tank and tee, most of the piece feel over priced, falling in the $300 to $900 range. And there's currently not much up, hopefully mroe will be coming soon!
Style Cravings & Indulgences
Edited by Jordana
This week’s Links à la Mode round-up from Independent Fashion Bloggers provides a variety of sweet treats. We’ve got hair how-to’s from Fasshonaburu and Bonne-Vie, sorbet inspirations from Idiosyncratic Style, Paris Couture collection picks from Fashion Pulse Daily and interviews galore, among other juicy additions.
I also want to give a special shout-out to IFB editor Ashe Mischief of Dramatis Personae, who is celebrating her 2 year blog-anniversary with a special giveaway.
- A Typical Atypical: A look at the unexpected fashion gems on offer at this year’s new designers exhibition in London – cut-out dresses, paper-like jewelry and more!
- Bonne-Vie: Pincurl project – experimenting with glamorous retro style techniques to create a saucy updo!
- Confessions of a Fashion Editor: Polling for the next Vogue Cover Girl – Bonnie Wright’s first fashion shoot.
- Denimaniac: Camo’s SS 2010 “Horses” collection and thoughts of Meryl Streep…
- Dramatis Personae: Celebrating a two year anniversary with a great giveaway – $50 gift card to BeautyTicket.com!
- Duper: Interview with Raoul Keil, founder of NINETEEN74 and Schon! Magazine.
- Fashion Cents: How to get glam for a movie date so that there is real life lights, camera, action!
- Fashion is My Crush: It’s a mosh pit: A studded DIY belt, some jellies from the kids section at Payless and some concrete comfort.
- Fashion Pulse Daily: Hand-picked favorite looks from 10 of the Paris Couture collections.
- Fasshonaburu:Finding a new hair dresser and how to break up with your old one.
- Idiosyncratic Style: A design board of inspiring comparisons of cool sorbet treats and summer fashion choices.
- Retro Chick: Sunglasses to flatter your face.
- Shop Diary: Cozy up with a snood for fall and how to improvise in these recessionary times.
- Style Symmetry: Interview with Cammila of Dressed Up Like a Lady.
- The Coveted: Turning Red, How to go monochromatic…
- The Musings of Ondo Lady: A look at Style Sample Magazine – featuring articles about a wide variety of bloggers across the world.
- Unfunded: Drooling over the sexy styles of Brandon Boyd and Robert Pattinson.
- V is for Olive: Inspired by a road trip through the American West - taking color palette ideas from nature and applying them to your own summer wardrobe.
- WorkChic: Teamed with Polyvore to show examples of a blouse makeover by style and your office type.
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
There was a grey leather cuff by Balenciaga I saw recently that I wanted to post, but I can't find it online, so here is this one with crystal embellishments. I like that you can start wearing it now but easily wear it through the fall and winter too! Buy at Max & Chloe for the sale price of $95.