Platform wedge booties are the hotness for fall! I like the oxford take of this pair, they remind me a little of the Acne Atacoma wedges everyone swooned over, but more affordable! Buy at Free People for $168.
Friday, October 30, 2009
This mini crossbody purse could not be a more perfect way to jazz up a little black dress! It's one of those pieces that actually should be described as "fierce"... can you believe it's by Coach?? Buy at Nordstrom for $298 in blue or purple.
Edited by Fashion Pulse Daily
Coming off of Ashe Mischief's Independent Fashion Blogger's Post (Good Cop/Bad Cop: Participating in Links a la Mode), you all brought your A-game in posting the links a la mode -- which made it extra hard to edit! This week, the theme that I saw emerging throughout the posts is one of celebrating our unique diversity; each site has a different take and approach to fashion, art, beauty, media, lifestyle, music - you name it! From the dry shampoo trials at Dramatis Personae to Le Petite Cecile's observations regarding the bleached eyebrow trend, you all brought a new perspective to each topic at hand, a sign that indicates how wonderful and creative the blogosphere truly is. Get even more excited for Halloween with cmykaboom and Idiosyncratic Style costume suggestions that are sure to make you smile, along with DenimDebutante's discovery of the "zipholder". All in all, one things' for certain: we've got an amazing community of bloggers!
As expected, there was a fabulous round-up of links in the forum as well, all worthy of your eyeballs!
- Clutch 22 -A Blogger's Fairytale - The Making of Seattle Indie Designer Jesica Milton's "Jordie" Dress
- cmykaboom -Halloween Hauteness: Top Ten Halloween Costume Ideas
- Dramatis Personae - The Dry Shampoo Trials (Part 1)
- DenimDebutante - The Zipholder
- Fashion Pulse Daily -Favorite New Eco-Find: the Cool Indie Designer Eco Duds at Green is Black
- ferOHHHsh - To Ugg or not to Ugg?
- girl friday -A Guide to Styling & Buying Scarves.
- Idiosyncratic Style - Stylish Last Minute Halloween Ideas
- Independent Fashion Bloggers - Good Cop/Bad Cop: Participating in Links a la Mode
- Le Petite Cecile - To Bleach or not to Bleach, That's the Question.
- Lillys Garden - Dirndlpunk ROCKS
- Mama Fashionista -- So What if I'm a (Perfume) Slut?
- Prom Mafia -Warning:This Image has been Photoshopped: Should a Disclaimer be Used on Photoshopped Models?
- Oranges & Apples -Flats or High Heels? Investigating Shoes that are Both Comfortable and Stylish
- Queen Gilda: Thesis Collection: Sketching, Fabric Choices, and Final Edits
- Retro Chick -Style Snapshot - 10 Questions with Eyeliah of Style Symmetry
- The COVETED -Learning More About Vintage from The Little Guide to Vintage Shopping
- The Demoiselles -- Pay Homage to the Classic Graphic T-Shirt
- Think Thru Fashion - Behind the Scenes at a MAC Halloween Photo Shoot
- Vue Society - RTW + Alterations vs. Custom Made
- Workchic - Shoe Smitten Shows Workchic Readers the Best Tall Boots for Those with Hard to Fit Calves
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Oooo, me wanna this Twenty8Twelve wool coat with hanging tails! But it's an expensive $682 at Singer 22...
So I went on a mission to find a more affordable option. This is the best I've discovered so far, which you can buy at Juicy Couture for $498. Anyone know of a non-blazer tailcoat for less than $200 out there?
These Henry Holland for PP House tights give the look of garters without the bulky belt! They're also the most affordable Henry Holland item ever, costing you $15 at My Tights. Though can you imagine how short your bottoms have to be to really show the look off??
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Ever since I saw this dress on the Alexander Wang runway, I've been stalking it! So have other people, since it seems to be selling out at all the usually online boutiques. But no one has checked Creatures of Comfort, where it's actually on sale... for $672.
This is a trend I don't believe I have the stones to pull off, but I definitely saw lots of sequin leggings and skinny pants on women of all shapes and sizes at NY Fashion Week in Sep... With a zip fly and pockets, I think these are more wearable - buy them at Saks for $218.
I present to you the most fabulous pair of over the knee boots under $500 out there!! These Pour la Victoire boots have great motorcycle details, which balances out the inherent sexiness of over the knee boots. I SO want them, but they'll cost you $445 at DJ Premium, le sigh.
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Get 15% off all cashmere at Bluefly today! I'm personally addicted to the C3 Collection sweaters, I get a new one every year to add to my collection! This year my mom bought me the kissing penguin sweater for Xmas - can't wait!!!
Many of you know I own this PAM vampire fang necklace in silver, but here's a covet-able oxidized silver version! It's a pricey $284 Australian dollars or about $260 US dollars at Someday, but perhaps as a holiday gift for the Twilight-obsessed person on your list?
This Wednesday and Thursday (10/28 - 10/29) from 10 am - 7 pm, you can snag Carlos Falchi exotic skin handbags for cheap at the sample sale. At 260 W. 39th St., between 7th and 8th Ave., 7th Floor. Cash and credit cards accepted.
Monday, October 26, 2009
Ooo pretty ruffles! Probably would look terrible unless you're on the flat chested side, but remember on "The Fashion Show" where a designer had to hide a petite, curvy woman's flaws and created a great ruffled blouse? I never would have thought it would work! Buy this at new boutique discovery Acrimony for $286.
Friday, October 23, 2009
This double breasted cardigan is a nice twist on a classic piece and perfect for keeping you warm when the office gets chilly! Buy at 80's Purple for $66. Get 15% off for the next three days with the code "AW2009" at checkout!
I love that there are multiple lockets asymmetrically scatted on this necklace! There's a spot for everyone you love here, no needing to pick the most special-est. A great gift for someone with a large family, buy at J. Crew for the sale price of $40.
I don't own any 3/4 sleeves coats due to practicality, but they look so cute with long sleeves or long gloves! And the brown to black ombré makes up for the shorter sleeves, as it will match almost everything! Buy at Nordstrom for $128.
I'm very undecided about sequin blazers - sometimes I feel like they should be paired with a top hat and leotard only. But other times I think they look cute when worn with a tee and jeans! Get this slouchy one at Asos in silver, navy or pink for $131.
With the Amelia Earheart movie coming out, you know the aviator style will be chic! I'm particularly drawn to aviator caps of the non-shearling variety (that's a trapper hat, not an aviator cap!!). But finding an affordable, non-costume aviator cap at a trust-worthy site is near impossible right now so they will obviously be everywhere in 3 months... sigh.
This Felipe Oliveira Baptista aviator cap is a super pricy $1,317 at Brown's Fashion.
Hermés sent some amazing deerskin caps down the runway, but they will set you back a cool $790! Also, I don't believe they're available online so you need to be near a store or willing to have a store ship it to you.
Well, for a quick fix you can buy yourself this faux-suede cap will do in a pinch. It's an impulse-buy price of $34 at Amazon.
Honestly, I may just buy a costume version :O
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Edited by Retro Chick
There’s a thrifty feel abound in this weeks Links á la Mode. Maybe we’re all saving money for Christmas, or perhaps we’re all those recessionistas I hear so much about. Oranges and Apples spends a week living out of a capsule wardrobe to prove it can be done, Further Ado tells us why “Investment Dressing” is just another way that Fashion Magazines try and part us from our cash, Style Symmetry shows us 3 ways to work the same plaid blazer and Fashion is my Crush saves money by making her own studded vest (that’s a waistcoat if you’re British…)
As the end of October creeps closer and the nights draw in this weeks Links á la Mode also, inevitably, includes some Halloween inspiration from The New Wave and Style Amor along with the usual amazing mix of give-aways, interviews and reviews that we’ve come to expect.
Of course, if you need more tips and tricks remember to check out all the submissions for this week in the Links á la Mode thread.
- A Typical Atypical – Make me a… 1940’s wartime woman
- Awakened Aesthetic – Men need sexy shoes too! Awakened Aesthetic searches for the best men’s dress shoes…and all of them are vegan.
- Bobbins and Bombshells – Sharin Foo of The Raveonettes. A modern Hitchcock Blonde with a guitar.
- Fashion in my eyes – Revlon fantasy eyelashes review and giveaway
- Fashion is My Crush – DIY Embellished Vest: make your own hardware strewn vest with some beads, studs & chains.
- Fasshonaburu – Alyssa & Vyque go to the local Shecky’s Girl’s Night Out
- ferOHHHsh – Blatant Designer Knockoffs- Not just in the back of vans anymore.
- Further Ado – Investment dressing – is it a real investment, or another women’s magazine catch-phrase used to encourage us to buy, buy, buy?
- Idiosyncratic Style – Q & A with amazing photographer Dana Brushette
- kaKofonie Of si(gh)lenS – Emily Howse A look at an up-and-coming fashion graduate with a taste for ethical production, architectural inspired pieces, and plenty of ruffles.
- Little Miss Makeup – Brown is the new gray! Learn how to do a smoky eye for daytime.
- Oranges and Apples – The Capsule Wardrobe Challenge: Roundup and Reflections
- Prom Mafia – 80s Done Right: How to Rock the 80s Fashion Trend
- Retro Chick – Win an organic cotton jumper, worth £70 from Urban Buzz
- slsvgg Fashion – Lily Allen’s jewellery line has finally been released in Selfridges
- Style Amor – Need Costume inspiration with a bad ass fashionable twist?
- Style Symmetry – Three Ways to Wear a Plaid Blazer This Season!
- Styletastic – A roundup of SS2010 runway shoes – what will we all be wanting to wear on our feet next summer? (Or not as the case may be)
- The Coveted – Behind the Scenes at Christian Francis Roth
- The New Wave – DIY Halloween inspiration from the S/S 2010 runway shows
- The Working Wardrobe – Something to Remember: Your Work Attire Not Only Represents You, It Represents Your Workplace. Think Before You Dress.
If I didn't already have a pair of wedges booties that I adored, I would seriously consider buying these! It is weird to call a shoe voluptuous, because this feels that way to me! I really like the lace-up detailing too, which I'm usually not a big fan of. But these wedges feel modern with a Victorian twist, love it. Buy at Urban Outfitters for $88.
I've been looking at mixed fabric skinny pants lately, leather and cotton usually. This Erin Wasson.RVCA pair has a fun plaid back! But will cost you $473 at RVCA... what is this, Vyqué post things you can't afford day???
Too much or just right? I am still feeling shoulder details, and I really like the odd, futuristic look of this tee, but I'm thinking just the leather would be better than it layered over bunchy-looking cap sleeves. Disagree? Buy at Saks for $242.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
I've you've read "Confession of a Shopaholic" you may recall a London store called Jigsaw. Well, those of use stuck in the States can't get enough of London fashion and someone was smart enough to create an online boutique for us! Hmm, I admit it's not exactly what I pictured, much more preppy and classic than trendy, kinda like the British J. Crew. Though the longer I stay on the site, the more stuff I notice and want! Plus, no one here will have the same pieces as you, something you could never say about J.Crew (at least in DC :O )!