Since I was just talking about rainy day fashion, here are some cute, limited edition Wellies for you! i love the biker-inspired look, with the studded straps! Buy at Akira for $225.
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
I don't know about you guys, but when it's rainy out I have a lot of trouble trying to look nice. Luckily for me, I have a secret weapon: patent red rain boots!
Every time I wear these someone compliments me, I love it! I bought them from Banana Republic forever ago, you can definitely see the wear & tear... Any thoughts on how I can make them last as long as possible?
I'm also wearing some basic knit pants from Free People, a Vena Cava top, a Silence + Noise blazer, and my purple leopard print scarf from LOFT.
Here's a close up of my Vena Cava top, I love it so much! It's interesting and unusual without being in your face or gimmicky.
Don't forget a cute umbrella! I remember this one was super cheap at Urban Outfitters! For only a little bit more than what you'd spend on your basic black umbrella at CVS you can get a cute, compact one that really adds to your look.
OMG please don' t let this be an early April Fool's Day joke!! There's a rumor going about that Lady Gaga, Alexander McQueen's "unofficial muse," will be creating a capsule collection for the brand. It's been a stormy year for the fashion house, with its founder found dead during NY Fashion Week. This collaboration would certainly be some positive news and help establish the brand's direction post-McQueen.
At this early stage little is known about the capsule collection. It is believed, however, that it will sit alongside the main Alexander McQueen line, like the McQ by Alexander McQueen diffusion - I hope it's also more affordable like McQ! It's possibly going to be called 'Poisson D'Avril', a reference to the poison seen in Lady Gaga's Telephone video.
UPDATE: Officially an April Fool's Day rumor :( Man I hate that
Tuesday, March 30, 2010
OMG so exciting! Alyssa & I just had the drawing for the Project Runway Game Giveway and...
Winners of the PC/DVD Project Runway Game: Jessica S. and Jozie4
Winner of the Project Runway Wii game AND $50 VISA Gift Card: DWJ!
Congrats to the winners, we'll be in touch shortly, and thanks to everyone who entered!
Wendy B has answered my prayers by creating Spike-inspired jewelry, an amazing necklace and ring. Who's Spike, you ask?? I'm intensely sorry for any who doesn't know, he was the bad boy British vampire that eventually became Buffy's love interest. That's right "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" who did the high school chick loves a vampire WAY before "Twilight." Also, she was a bad ass in her own right, not constantly needing saving like a certain someone...
I digress. Spike is amazing. He was complex and swaggery and had the sexiest accent. I love anything that has to do with him. I listened to his old band's music. I listened to techno remixes of his lines from the show. He is and always will be number one on my list (you know from "Friends" - the five celebrities you can sleep with without it being considered cheating). If I saw him right now, I would dissolve into a 12-year-old girl puddle of screaming tears. Anything that has to do with him I must own. One of these pieces will be mine, oh yes.
Just one of my Spike action figures ;)
Who originated this rib cage print trend... was it Rodarte? No, I think there was a McQ BY MCQUEEN rib cage tee back in '08, but I can't find a picture of it. Buy this sweatshirt at Urban Outfitters for $108. A bit pricey for a sweatshirt, but you can't deny its cuteness!
Monday, March 29, 2010
H&M is holding an awesome contest on Facebook, where you upload a personal style pic and via votes and judging you could win a chance to be in a Lucky Magazine fashion spread (dies) and get a $500 shopping spree! Vote for me (or I will cry because I cannot express how badly I want the Lucky Mag photoshoot prize) and enter on Facebook!
Wedding season is rapidly descending upon us! Besides never wearing white, the dress codes of wedding attire have gotten hazier and hazier as time has gone by. But don't fret, I have created this guide to help you look amazing. I decided to focus mostly on location, since that usually makes the most impact on what a person wears.
So there you have it, my thoughts and advice on how to style yourself the next wedding you find yourself attending! But don't be afraid to push the envelope... as long as you feel the bride would be OK with it. Remember, it's her day!
Friday, March 26, 2010
Oh wow, what a great way to rock a lingerie style look while looking sweet and feminine and not showing too much skin! This satin bed jacket would look great with a tank or jeans, over a bodycon cocktail dress or just lounging around the house! And on sale at Violetville's eBay store for $52!
Thursday, March 25, 2010
Edited by Fashion Pulse Daily
It seems that across the board, there has been a resurgence in DIY, as we are very much living in a world of 'Do it Yourself' everything; ranging from creating or updating or garments' silhouettes and decorative details to showcasing our own versions of runway looks, virtually styling with tools like Polyvore, tackling self-photography, and of course self-publishing via our blog platforms. We reign supreme in the DIY world on a daily basis, and I only see this trend gaining momentum. The roundup of this week's links is definitely an indication, directly and indirectly, of the incredibly creative, innovative, persevering, motivated folks that are part of the new DIY frontier, and of course, IFB!
As expected, there was a fabulous round-up of links in the forum as well, all worthy of your eyeballs!
- Alex Loves - The Chanel Tattoo Cast
- Alice in Stilettos - DIY Faux Fur Ankle Cuffs Inspired by Thakoon
- Denim Debutante - How Would You Change the Denim Industry?
- Despising Life is so Passé - Spring Cleaning: Detox your Space
- Fashion Pulse Daily - The DYI Glue-On Pedicure: Reviewing Revlon’s Perfect Pedicure Kit
- Fasshonaburu - Vyque & Alyssa review the "Project Runway" video game and give you a chance to win your own copy!
- For Those About to Shop - Designer NADA's Fashion future - how about a 3D film?
- Haute World - My real life encounters with Balmain and an exclusive tour inside the label's only boutique in the world.
- Idiosyncratic Style - The Personal Style of Fashion Designer, Breeyn McCarney
- Independent Fashion Bloggers : Evolving Influence business, ethics, and the future of fashion blogging videos
- Inny Vinny - See No Evil, Hear No Evil: Jezebel exposes photographer Terry Richardson
- Lady Peach -The men that have shaped the fashion scene... 5 Male Style Icons
- M.I.S.S. - Interview with Gabriela Hernandez, founder of Besame Cosmetics
- Retro Chick - How Vanity Sizing is damaging your health
- Shrimp Salad Circus - What does color do for your life?
- Skinnypurse - Skinny Cargo Pants: Love Them or Hate Them?
- Style Eyes - The Wang Effect - A discussion about the phenomenal popularity of all things Wang
- Style Symmetry: Style Me Challenge! Wear an Outfit Styled By Someone Else
- The Working Wardrobe - Show this rainy season who's boss!
- The Coveted - Do you alter vintage?
- Tweet - Dark and intricately sculptural clothing by a young, Hungarian designer named Dora Mojzes with an amazing talent
- Ventures of Jenn - Vice interviewed Karl Lagerfeld; I broke it down
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Hmm, I believe chambray is a light cotton fabric... does it always have to be denim blue colored? Because I've never seen it as anything else! Either or, this Dallin Chase blazer has the oh-so-popular denim look for spring, with luxe satin touches! Buy at ShopBop for $212.
From far away the dot print on this reversible bikini looks a little metallic, and totally 80's! And if you get tired of the color, flip to the black side - or mix and match! Buy the halter top for $46 and matching bottoms for $42 at Swell.
This zebra print has a lot more dimension by having black, white AND brown! Much more realistic, it's almost like there's one really there :P Buy at Tracy Reese for $145. What's up with me and animal prints lately, have I fallen into safari madness??
All you have to say is "it's purple" and I'm sold, but this Gryphon tank is a particularly pretty piece! I love that it's not solid sequins, more like someone took a handful (or three) and just scattered them about the top. It's still got glitz, but it's much more wearable! Buy at Les Nouvelles for the sale price of $148.
Monday, March 22, 2010
This is what I wore for my birthday celebrations over the weekend. I could have accessorized more, though I know I started the night with a cute, grey denim jacket. But really, who cares cuz I look skinny, woo hooo! I was going for Taylor Momsen, think I succeeded?
Friday, March 19, 2010
Edited by Ashe Mischief
I was taken aback when going through the submissions this week – there were so many powerful, strong, opinionated pieces that I felt really taken aback. With overwhelming positivity or negativity, the fashion community is finding it’s voice – and making themselves heard!
The fashion community is great at sharing the voice of others, and we’ve got several fabulous interviews to prove it. From Derek Lam at Poetic & Chic and White Rabbit’s interview with Irish woman Sinead Doyle (along with my own interview with Amelia Arsenic at Dramatis Personae), there are voices for everyone. We’ve got bloggers ranting on the lack of premium denim in plus-sizes at Denim Debutante (hell yeah!), and some showcasing inspirational figures like KOOS (at M.I.S.S.), Philip Crangi (at Eternal Masquerade), and Maria Felix (at Jewelry Whore).
There were so, so many great links this week, it really was hard to narrow it down to 20. Check out the full listing of Links à la Mode here.
- Bachman's Sparrow – DIY post on how to use bleach to revamp your “unloved” clothes!
- blackdog finds: – How To: 10 Creative Ways to Revive Less-Than-Loved Clothing
- Denim Debutante: – Guest Blog: Is there Size Discrimination in Premium Denim?
- dramatis personae: – Amelia Arsenic’s Miss X Aesthetic Laboratories & Interview
- Fashion Hippo – Win Marc by Marc Jacobs Leola Bow Wow Handbag
- Fashion Pulse Daily: – Not Your Daughter’s Jeans: Fit for a Mother AND a Daughter?
- fete a fete: – Whiisical spring designs from Camper shoes
- Forty Not Out: – Louis Vuitton – Fall Winter 2010/2011
- Grechen Blogs: – are you incorporating video into your blog? how is it working for you?
- Independent Fashion Bloggers – A New Map of the Two-Way Street: Why Giving Back to the Blogosphere is Key to Growth
- jesse.anne.o: – How do you swap, thrift or buy resale and NOT get bedbugs?
- Jewelry Whore: – “The Fabulous Jewels of Maria Felix, La Dona”
- M.I.S.S.: – Eyes To The Sky: Before BOHO There Was KOOS.
- Obsession: – How I Met Design Duo of Giles & Brother, Philip and Courtney Crangi
- Oranges and Apples: – Sustainable fashion part 2: thinking about speed
- Poetic & Chic: – A candid interview with Derek Lam, fellow San Franciscan and fellow high school alumni!
- Pretty Shiny Sparkly: – It’s leather. It’s quilted. It’s a computer, for fashionistas.
- Style Symmetry: – Interview with the Stylish Sisters of Beckerman Bite Plate
- The Thinking Fashionista: – An in-depth, critical look at the Russian Futurist themes of Viktor & Rolf’s Fall 2010 show.
- The Working Man: – Incorporating Spring Into Your Working Look
- White Rabbit: – An interview with Irish fashion Designer Sinead Doyle and the inspiration behind her S/S 2010 collection.
Nicole Richie is expanding her House of Harlow line, previously jewelry and accessories, to include shoes! No surprise, it's extremely boho with touches of art deco thrown in at times. The sandals and moccasins are a bit too earthy for me, but I'm really feeling those fish scale peep toes! You can buy at Singer 22 and prices range from $168 to $275 for the Misha boot - think it's named after Misha Barton? I need a famous designer friend to name things after me, dammit!